Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Always at Work

“What is God doing in your life right now?”

Years ago when my husband and I were newly wed, we got involved with these “radical” Christians who would ask such questions of us. Caught off guard, I probably pulled something off the top of my head rather than admit, “I don’t know.”

“I don’t know what God is doing in my life right now” doesn’t sound very spiritual, does it?

Maybe it’s not fair to catch people off guard with such a question, but it certainly is thought provoking, and we all could probably spend more time thinking about God’s role in our life.

Looking back over the years, I am astonished – truly amazed – at how God has worked in my life. Astounding acquaintances and inexplicable events have taken place and have led me down paths I never imagined. They have changed me, shaped me, and grown me into who I am today. I can see now that even though I may not have realized it at the time, and even through some difficult, challenging situations, He always had a plan; He always was at work in my life. This knowledge gives me perspective that those who do not know the Lord could not possibly have.

Problems that used to send me into a tizzy are now so much easier to shrug off. Is God up in Heaven pacing nervously and wringing His hands about this problem? Of course not! If He doesn’t worry, why should I? I need only to ask, “Father, help me to see your hand in this situation – your perspective, your solution.”

There have been times I’ve gotten off the path of His plan for me – free will allows that. Have there been regrets and consequences? Absolutely. But God’s love is so persistent, He never stopped calling me back to Himself – back to where He could continue doing good things in my life.

When we’re trusting Him and seeking Him, we can confidently assume that He’s always at work in our lives, helping us know Him better and to be transformed into His image.

And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose (Romans 8:28).

No comments:

Post a Comment