Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The boss's time

I do freelance work from home, and, depending on how tight a deadline I have, there can be a lot of freedom in setting my own hours. I can get up early, sit down at my computer in my pajamas, and have a lot of work done by noon. Or I can work late into the night and sleep in the next morning. If I have a small project with a loose deadline, I might putz around – an hour here, an hour there – doing other things along with my work throughout the day.

But when I come to work at the Voyageur, I get paid by the hour; therefore, I’m on my boss’s time. I understand that I’m expected to work for every hour I’m paid. I’m accountable for my time, and I do what my boss expects me to do, not whatever I happen to feel like doing – which, quite frankly, some days would be zilch! Doesn’t matter. You gotta work when you’re getting paid.

I got to thinking about how different my life would be if I approached every day with the mindset that I am not on my own time. I’m working for “my Boss,” and need to do whatever tasks He sets before me. What would happen if each day I said, “Okay, Lord, I’m on your time; what would you have me do this day?”

Ephesians 5:15–16 of the Amplified Bible says, “Look carefully then how you walk! Live purposefully and worthily and accurately, not as the unwise and witless, but as wise (sensible, intelligent people), Making the very most of the time [buying up each opportunity], because the days are evil.”

The days are evil, the time is short, and every day has Kingdom work to be done, whether it’s out in the world or in a prayer closet. Making Jesus the boss each day puts our lives on track to be purposeful and worthy and accurate.

No comments:

Post a Comment