Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Come to Me

There was a man on his way to the throne of God. He carried several bundles of “baggage” with him, and as he traveled, he dropped them one by one, hoping to rid himself of them before He reached God’s throne. As he came closer to the throne, he suddenly stopped. He hung his head in shame and did not continue his journey because, alas, he still carried some of the bundles and was too ashamed to come before Almighty God.

Then there was a second man, also on his way to the throne of God. This man too was heavily laden with many bundles of baggage. However, rather than ridding himself of the baggage as he progressed toward the throne, he paid no attention to his burden. Instead, with steady determination and a firm forward gaze, he pushed onward to take his place before the Lord.
He came before the throne of God and saw an alter between him and the Lord. He said, “I’m sorry, Lord. I have nothing to offer you but my problems – my anger, my insecurities, my … sin.”

The Lord nodded toward the alter, and without hesitation, the man piled his burdens there, where they were consumed in holy fire, and he breathed deeply the sweet air of freedom.

Are you like the first man, trying to clean up your act before you come to the Lord? Or are you the second man, saying, “Here I am, Lord. Take me as I am with all my baggage, all my problems. I’ve carried this heavy load long enough, and I can’t take one more step unless you take it from me”?

You know what God’s going to say, don’t you?

“Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light” (Mat. 11:28–30).

No comments:

Post a Comment