Wednesday, January 13, 2010

God in the details

I love it when God shows Himself in the details of our lives – in those areas we think are too unimportant to bother Him with.

Recently, when my daughter brought her computer home from college, it decided it no longer wanted to read DVDs or CDs. This was a major problem because we needed to install software for her to be able to connect to the Internet, and since she’s taking online college courses this semester, the Internet is a definite necessity. When she called for the manufacturer’s help, she was told the computer was no longer under warranty, and they would charge some outrageous amount to help her. She said, “No thanks,” because . . . well, she’s been unemployed a long time.

I tried to see what I could do to possibly fix the computer – but to no avail. I prayed and tried again. Sadly, I thought I just had to admit defeat and hire someone to fix the computer. Sadly because . . . well, money’s just been tight lately.

Suddenly, my own computer developed the exact same problem; it stopped reading DVDs and CDs. I thought that was unbelievably strange that both computers would have the same issue – an issue I’ve never had before in all my years of owning computers – within days of each other.
I called the manufacturer (my computer is under warranty), and a brilliant young woman from India took control of my monitor and fixed the problem. Then she said, “Now I will tell you step by step what I did.”

Hmmm, I thought, I’ve never had a technician offer to do that before.

She told me the steps one by one as I wrote them down. I told her my other computer had the same problem, and although the computer was from the same manufacturer, it was not the same model. She said, “That does not matter. Following these steps will fix your other computer.”

And it did. My daughter’s computer is fixed, and it didn’t cost me a penny.

Remember, because it’s not under warranty, the manufacturer would not help with my daughter’s computer. But my computer, which is under warranty, amazingly developed the same problem. And then there was that technician who offered to tell me the steps she’d used to fix my computer when I’ve never had a technician do that before!

Coincidence? Some people would say so, but I know that my Heavenly Father saw the need and orchestrated a way to solve that problem.

“Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you” (1 Peter 5:7, NLT).

No comments:

Post a Comment