Wednesday, January 13, 2010

His way is the high way

". . . I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life . . .” (Deut. 30:19, NKJV).

What do I know of God? I know that His ways are not my ways (Isaiah 55:8). I know that apart from Him, I can do nothing (John 15:5). I’m learning – very gradually – to trust that when I do things His way and not my own, very good things will come of that. I’m learning that every time I fight the urge to respond the way my flesh wants me to and instead respond the way His Spirit tells me to, I’ve won a victory against the enemy of my soul who wants to keep me in bondage – a slave to sin.

Oh, but making that choice to listen and be obedient to Him is hard work sometimes. For instance, I remember a time when I knew my efforts were being overlooked, and I wasn’t receiving credit for my contributions. Feeling unappreciated and taken for granted, I planned my revenge: I would no longer put forth any effort; I would let people know how wrong they had been. I rehearsed my presentation until I was sure it would cut others to the bone and make them feel so guilty and ashamed and sorry for the way they had treated me!

Ready to unleash all my fury, I felt the Father speak to my spirit: “At the end of your life, these things will not matter. What will matter then will be the kindness you showed for My sake and the gentle words you chose to honor Me.”

I knew immediately I did not want to be remembered as the self-centered, indignant person who demanded to “get what she deserved.” I wanted to live His way. I wanted to walk in love.

So I chose the opposite of what I had planned. I worked harder – to please God, not people. I extended kindness rather than withholding my affection. I approached the situation with gratefulness instead of resentment.

Did anyone notice? I don’t know. I don’t remember a sudden rush of accolades or expressions of appreciation, but giving up my agenda was so worth it for the joy and the peace I experienced as a result of doing things God’s way. And I knew – without a doubt – that even though it may have seemed like a small thing to others, a major spiritual victory had been won, and I had thwarted Satan’s plan to keep me bitter, resentful and so unhappy.

I’m still losing more battles than I care to admit, but what’s true for all of us is that as we learn to tune in to the Father more and more and choose His way of living in this life, we will experience victory after victory and be set free to walk in His blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment