Friday, September 25, 2009

Just like Dad

During my rebellious teen years, my dad used to tell me, “Your actions are a reflection on our family. When you walk out this door, you represent our family name.”

Being totally egocentric (i.e., a typical teenager), I did not take Dad’s words seriously. I was “my own person,” and when I walked out that door, I did whatever pleased me with little thought of my family name.

As time went on, genetics seemed to take their hold, and I became more and more aware of family traits my siblings and I exhibited that could be attributed only to our gene pool. I began to take pride in my inheritance, and I did care whether I was a good representative of my family.
Being part of God’s family is very much the same. When we’re young/immature Christians, we haven’t quite figured out who we are in Christ or how we fit in to this new family. We might even be a bit of an embarrassment to our older siblings!

But eventually, as we grow and mature, “genetics” (that is, God’s Spirit in us) will become more and more evident in all we do and say. Before we know it, there’ll be no denying whose child we are (not that we would want to deny it)! Others will see our Heavenly Father in us. And won’t it (or doesn’t it) make you happy to hear someone say, “He reminds me of his dad,” or “She sure has her father’s ways”?

Oh, and those older siblings? If they’re becoming more and more like Father themselves, they won’t be embarrassed when someone new in the family messes up. :-)

1 John 3:1a; How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!

No comments:

Post a Comment