Friday, September 25, 2009

Standing on the promises

“Standing on the promises that cannot fail, / when the howling storms of doubt and fear assail, by the living Word of God I shall prevail, / standing on the promises of God. Standing, standing, / standing on the promises of Christ my Savior; standing, standing, / I’m standing on the promises of God” (by R. Kelso Carter).

If you walk in faith in our Lord Jesus Christ, perhaps you’ve had people say to you on occasion, “Well, I wish I had your faith” – as if it’s something you were born with or inherited or manufactured on your own.

If faith is “the substance of things unknown and the evidence of things not seen” (Hebrews 11:1), where does faith come from?

Romans 10:17 says, “So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”

I’ve seen Christians who worry about every imagined danger and every possible thing that could go wrong. And I’ve seen Christians “walk through fire” with grace and peace, never giving in to fear. (I’ve been on both ends of that spectrum and everywhere in between!) Our faith, our ability to trust God and act accordingly, comes from the Word of God. If we’re going to stand strong and confident no matter what comes our way, we need to stand on His promises. God has a promise in His Word for every circumstance we might encounter in life. But in order to stand on those promises, we need to know what the promises are.

The more we fill our minds with God’s Word, the stronger and stronger our faith becomes.

1 comment:

  1. For me it is more like I wish I knew how to express my faith as eloquently as you do. Wasn't my high school prophecy something about me being the next Erma Bombeck? You have such a gift. A way to explain everyday life into valuable faith lessons. Keep up the great work, Lisa, you don't know how many lives you touch!

    ReplyDelete