Friday, September 25, 2009

Remember God's faithfulness

Psalm 105:4–5; Look to the Lord and His strength; seek His face always.
Remember the wonders He has done, His miracles, and the judgments He pronounced.

“Lisa, can’t you trust God for the resources you need to accomplish that?”

Long pause . . .

“Well . . . ? Can’t you?”

I didn’t want to answer my friend’s point-blank question. I didn’t want to admit that I was struggling in an area where a “good Christian” should not struggle – doubt. It seemed that every time I turned around I faced another disappointment, and niggles of doubt were starting to work their way into my mind.

No, honestly, I wasn’t able to trust God at that point, and it hurt to admit it.

But when I finally came out and told her I was struggling in this area, she offered sound advice: She suggested I ask the Lord to bring to my mind all the times He’s answered my prayers in the past, to help me remember the many ways He’s been faithful and provided for all my needs and covered me in difficult times.

When we experience great disappointments, they can cloud our vision, making it hard to see (that is, with spiritual eyes) the love of our deliverer. We focus on our circumstances so much that even though Jesus is right there before us, we don’t see Him. (Remember the guys on the road to Emmaus in Luke 24:13-14?) I don’t think my experience is unique. I’d guess most Christians go through times where they wonder if God really cares. I’m sure that’s why God’s Word exhorts us to “remember.”

When I spent time remembering things God and I had been through before, I had plenty of ammunition to combat my doubts. God had proven Himself faithful many times in the past, and I was left with one conclusion: If He did it before, He’ll do it again. Our unchanging God IS faithful. I can trust Him for anything.

So can you!

No comments:

Post a Comment