Friday, September 25, 2009

A new thing

Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland. Isaiah 43:18–19

I don’t think of myself as old, but I sure am a lot less flexible than I was a few years ago – both physically and psychologically! It’s the psychological aspect I’m thinking of today.

I’ve become terribly resistant to change. Even though I know that change is a normal, often desirable, part of life, I don’t like it. If I’m not careful, I can see myself becoming a stubborn old curmudgeon.

I can imagine my children saying to one another, “You know Mom – she’s stuck in the past and never likes anything to change.”

Recently, it became obvious I was going to need to make a change career-wise. Things have been slow in the publishing industry, and I haven’t been getting enough freelance work to make ends meet. I prayed for God to open doors and send work my way, and when He did, I threw a hissy fit! I was offered work as a staff writer right here at the Voyageur Press – with great people I already like and a comfortable work environment – but I didn’t want to leave home! I didn’t want to give up my dream and the hard work it took to become a freelancer. So I crossed my arms and stomped my feet and said, “NO FAIR! This is not what I had planned!”

Finally, I decided to lay my expectations down before the Lord. I remembered Jeremiah 29:11; “’For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.’”

I saw clearly that God was doing a good thing in my life; I could trust Him!

Children of the Lord, we need to be open to new things. What if the Lord wants to do a wonderful new thing in our lives and we miss it because we’re too stubborn, or worse yet, afraid, to make changes? That would be a shame.

Other than giving up the luxury of working at home in my PJs until 10:00 a.m. if I want to, I’m really excited about this new adventure in my life. One thing I’ve learned for sure, walking with the Lord is always an adventure!

I am honored to take on a bigger role here at the Voyageur Press, and I pray I will do justice to the position.

No comments:

Post a Comment