Friday, September 25, 2009

Returning the gift

Do you ever have those times where everyone is annoying you, and you think, “If I were God, we’d definitely be having another flood”?

I know that sounds extreme, but sometimes I’m not so good in the patience department. (I really do love people; I’m only talking about “sometimes.”)

One person is annoying me with his crabbiness; another is getting on my nerves with her pushy-ness. That person will not express gratitude for anything; the other one is totally self-centered, and on and on it goes.

What should my attitude be?

Time and time again the Scriptures command us to love one another. “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another” (John 13:34).

This command would be so much easier if we didn’t have to deal with so many different kinds of people, right?

Nevertheless, our Heavenly Father wants His children to live in harmony: “If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose” (Phil. 2:1–2).

The love principle is really pretty simple: we return what we have received. Apart from Jesus I would be guilty of every sin, every fault, I find in others. Have I ever been crabby, pushy, unappreciative, self-centered, or any of the host of faults I find in others? Of course I have. Has God forgiven me every single time I fall short of His perfection? He absolutely has.

Romans 5:8; reminds me that God loved me while I was still a sinner and showed His love by giving me Jesus. Knowing this truth keeps me looking gently upon my fellow human beings.
Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you (Eph 4:32).

No comments:

Post a Comment