Friday, September 25, 2009

Turn loose the lion

As a copy editor I literally make a living correcting other people’s mistakes! I make jokes and use my profession as an excuse for a tendency that can really put off people, but I must try hard to curb my compulsion to correct others when I believe they are wrong. I especially try to watch myself when it comes to arguing biblical principles.

Nineteenth century English evangelist and expositor of Scriptures Charles Spurgeon said, “The word of God is like a lion; you don’t have to defend it, you just turn it loose.”

When we hear someone say something that flies in the face of Scripture, is it profitable to get into an argument with them over this, or is it enough to counteract that by simply sharing what the Word says? We need to remember that even Jesus was not always listened to. People chose to reject His message. People chose to reject Him. So we point people to biblical truths, but after that, we need to allow them to choose whether they will receive that Word.

God doesn’t pound us over the head and force us to believe anything about Him. Why do we feel compelled to try to coerce others into accepting our beliefs? Is it really just pride convincing us that we must demonstrate how “right” we are?

Remember Hebrews 4:12, “For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

Turn loose “the lion,” and let it do its work.

No comments:

Post a Comment