Friday, September 25, 2009

Learning to listen

Although I eventually grew to love my mother-in-law dearly, I did not necessarily appreciate her in the early years of our relationship. She would call me and talk ceaselessly – I could hardly get a word in edgewise.

I’m embarrassed to admit this, but sometimes I would lay down the phone, go get a drink of water or something, and come back without her ever knowing I’d been absent.

I’m sorry for that lack of respect I showed my mom-in-law. I’m also sorry that I too often approach my conversations with God in the same way she talked to me.

What must God think when I come to him with a long list of requests, complaints, thoughts, and ideas, but never take time to listen to Him?

In order to experience genuine fellowship with God, we must learn to quiet our hearts before Him. Consider Psalm 37:7a – Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him; Psalm 46:10a – Be still and know that I am God; Psalm 62:1a – Truly my soul silently waits for God.

Being still before God takes self-discipline and practice. I’m recommitting to spending more time just basking in His presence. To do that, I need to try to eliminate all distractions. I’ll choose a time when the house is quiet – perhaps late at night or early in the morning. There mustn’t be any background noise, and I dare not have the computer turned on (because if an e-mail pops up, I’ll have to view it!).

With my Bible on my lap, I’ll invite Him to speak to me through His Word. And when I’ve read a brief passage, I’ll ask Him, “What is it you are saying to me through this passage, Lord?” And then . . . I must be still and listen.This is only one way to approach learning to listen to the Lord.

Find what works for you, and be blessed as He speaks to your spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment