Thursday, December 11, 2008

All About Me

Southbound on Interstate 35 en route to St. Paul, the face of an ecstatic young man smiled down at me from a billboard proclaiming in bold letters: IT’S ALL ABOUT ME!

The billboard was an advertisement for a college, and I chuckled out loud for two reasons when I saw it. Number one, “it’s all about me” seems to be the catchphrase for what’s always getting me in trouble; and number two, even though that same phrase gets all of us in trouble, it’s undoubtedly a very appealing and successful slogan for a college trying to attract new students.

We love “all about me.”

Human nature tends toward self-centeredness, yet that mindset leaves us miserable. Why?

Jesus’ entire ministry was all about other people, not Himself. If He is our example, we see we’re called to a life of sacrifice (Mark 10:45; For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many), a life of dying to self (Galatians 2:20a; I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me), a life of putting the needs of others before our own (Philippians 2:3; Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves). And since there’s no true joy apart from God’s will, when we’re self-centered, demanding our rights, and putting our own needs ahead of others, we easily become angry, depressed, dissatisfied people. I know it’s true in my life. I’m never more miserable than when I’m focused on myself.

While it’s true that self-centeredness comes naturally (think of an infant bawling to have its needs met), as we grow up in Christ, we can set aside self and live joyful, contended lives for Him.

Philippians 3:8; What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment