Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Column

My original intent in starting a blog page was to post my columns, which I write for a local weekly paper. I write for the Faith pages, usually about 300 words. Posting them will give me an easy format to save and share them with my friends. I've written an awful lot of them in the past nine months. When I began, I wondered if I would be able to come up with enough material to get me through the first couple of months!

When the owner/publisher asked me to write, I was nervous/hesitant to put myself out there. I was afraid of what people would think of me. Would they think of my writing as a display of spiritual pride? Would they think my ideas were stupid? What if I said something that someone disagreed with? Could I endure public criticism if it came to that?

On the other hand, I've wanted to bless the Lord and hopefully others through my writing, and that opportunity was being handed to me. Was this something He wanted me to do? I wanted to know God's will. I prayed, of course, but I just wasn't sure.

I called a friend/spiritual mentor to ask her advice. She told me, "Lisa, if it's God's will, you'll have something to write about each week, and you'll find it pleasant and fulfilling. It's possible that this is not God's will. If it isn't, you'll probably struggle to come up with writing material each week, and you may find it a stressful thing that you don't enjoy. That's OK. Sometimes we all miss the will of God. But if your only reason for not doing this is your fear of man, that is no reason to pass by this opportunity."

That was more than 9 months ago, and each week the Lord gives me something to share with my readers. I am thankful God has given me this ministry opportunity. I will begin uploading columns written since March 2008. I hope you enjoy them. Please post comments on any that especially speak to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment