Thursday, December 11, 2008

Surprise Me, God

When we’re looking for it and paying attention, it’s amazing to see how God reveals Himself to us in small, sometimes miraculous and sometimes downright funny ways. Best of all, it’s good to know He cares about every detail of our lives.

The other day while working at my computer, I grew so exhausted I could no longer keep my eyes open. I decided to allow myself a brief nap so that I could continue working refreshed. As I lay down I decided 20 minutes would do the trick. Looking at my clock, I saw it was 12:40 and said, “Lord, don’t let me sleep past 1:00. I only want to rest for 20 minutes.” I soon dozed off, and in no time at all I heard the whine of a mosquito in my ear. I thought, “Oh no, I just fell asleep; I don’t want to wake up, you stupid mosquito!” When it landed near my ear, I slapped myself awake and looked at the clock: it was 1:00 – time to get up. I laughed and said, “Thanks, Dad, you have a great sense of humor!” as I smashed His little messenger against the wall so it wouldn’t be waking me up again that night.

Now you may think it’s odd to ask God to be your personal alarm clock; surely He has more important things to do, right? But I’ve been learning that talking to Him about every little thing brings me into a closer relationship with Him. As I learn to trust Him for little things, like waking me up, I’m being prepared to trust Him for the big things that will come up in life.

Are you convinced that God cares about the details of your life? Read Psalm 139:17; “How precious are your thoughts toward me, O God. If I could count them, they would outnumber the sands by the seashore.” Some versions say, “How precious are your thoughts to me,” but either version would be true. He looks upon you as a father with great love for His child. He’s ready to help you in any situation. Seek Him with the expectation of finding Him.

1 comment: