Thursday, December 11, 2008

That Which Concerns You

On the campus at Northwestern, I walked behind my son as we headed toward the building where his father and I would attend a meeting for parents of football players while he would join his future teammates for pizza.

I sensed a certain level of anxiety in him: after this meeting we would return home, and he would be left behind to prove himself. The next day the players would be put through a series of physical tests to see how they measured up. He would be expected to bench press an amount that, in spite of faithfully training, he had never been able to achieve. He was concerned about his time in the 40 yard dash; he feared he was too slow. Could he compete at this level?

While I thought about the pressures my son was facing, this verse came strongly into my mind: “The Lord will perfect that which concerns you” (Psalm 138:8).

When our meeting was over, we met our son in the hallway for a final hug and farewell. As I held him close, I said, “The Lord wants you to know that He will perfect that which concerns you. Whatever that means, honey, I’m sure He’ll make it clear to you.”

The following evening my son called, filled with excitement. For the first time ever, he had bench pressed the weight that before had seemed impossible. When he ran the 40, he achieved his fastest time ever. He joyfully exclaimed, “I know God had to have helped me.”

Philippians 4:13 has taken on new meaning: “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me”—literally!

These experiences, these glimpses of our Father’s faithfulness, need to be remembered. Is there anything too difficult for Him? Is there any area of our life with which we cannot trust Him?

Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart (Psalm 37:4).

No comments:

Post a Comment