Thursday, December 11, 2008

Mind Transformers

Pastor Johnson’s article last week (“Find the ‘Ditch’ Lately?”) reminded me of how subtly wrong thinking creeps into our minds – how quickly we grab onto wrong ideas and how destructive that kind of thinking can be if left unchecked. In his case the thought was, I am in control. I have it all planned out.

How many of us can identify with that?

I’ve been taking part in a 40 day fast from wrong thinking, so this topic has been on my mind lately. The key, as you probably know, lies not in determining to quit thinking in certain ways but to replace those wrong thoughts (lies, really) with the truth of God’s Word. So “I am in control” comes into my mind, and I replace it with something like, “Come now, you who say, ‘Today or tomorrow we will go. . . .’ – yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. . . . Instead you ought to say, ‘If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that’” (James 4:13–15), or "But blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in him (Jeremiah 17:7). You get the idea.

Here’s an area where we can help one another (“encourage one another and build each other up,” 1 Thessalonians 5:11). Brandt’s article presented a simple, godly truth – a good reminder for all of us. And that’s what we’re looking for in the Faith pages. You don’t have to be a theologian to contribute. Do you have an example of wrong thinking that got you in trouble? If you let others learn from your experience, you might spare them the same trouble.

Send me an e-mail with your story!

Blessings,
~lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment