Thursday, December 11, 2008

Hypocrisy

Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love (1 John 4:7-8).

I have a confession to make: there are some people for whom I just don’t feel love. I used to feel so guilty because 1 John 4:7-8 says if we do not love, we do not know God. But I do know God, and I love Him very much; it’s just people I have trouble with. . . .

One day while talking to a friend and spiritual mentor, I explained my dilemma: How can I call myself a Christian and not love everybody? Am I a hypocrite? She reminded me that my born-again spirit was perfect and pure and did love others. If someone I didn’t like was lying wounded in a ditch, would I stop to help? Of course I would.

Stop putting so much stock in your feelings, she told me; they’re just feelings. You choose by your will to walk in love, to treat others lovingly whether you feel love or not, and God honors that. One of the fruits of the Spirit is love; you received that when you received His Spirit; now trust what God’s Word says about you instead of how you feel!

Such great advice, and the best thing I’ve discovered is that oftentimes when I choose to walk in God’s love, my feelings do eventually follow. It’s not hypocritical to behave in accordance with God’s Word even when we don’t feel like it; it’s just smart!

Be sure to read Pastor Dickow’s article, “I feel like a fake; I feel like a hypocrite,” to see what else God has to say on this issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment