Thursday, December 11, 2008

Eyes on Him

There’s a beautiful song we sing by Leeland Dayton Mooring and Marc Byrd. It’s called “Beautiful Lord,” and the first lines go like this:

When the storm is raging all around me,
You are the peace that calms My troubled sea.
And when the cares of this world Darken my day,
You are the light that shines And shows me the way.

I love this song because it reminds me that in the midst of all the craziness of this life, our Lord stands like a beacon, offering us shelter and guidance.

In Matthew 14:25–31 we see Peter stepping out of a boat and walking across water to get to the Lord Jesus. It was a miracle! As long as Peter kept his eyes on Jesus, he walked on water.
But the next thing that happened to Peter is just what happens to most of us: Peter got distracted by the storm around him, he grew fearful, and he began to sink.

Have you ever felt like you were being swallowed by your circumstances? Have you ever been so overwhelmed by your situation that you felt you were drowning? I have, and as soon as I feel myself “going under,” I know I’ve lost my focus.

2 Corinthians 5:7 says, “for we walk by faith, not by sight.” What does this mean?

After Peter took his eyes off Jesus and began to sink, Jesus said, “O, you of little faith, why did you doubt?”

There are times we need to have tunnel vision where we direct our gaze only on Him, not on what we can see in the physical realm. It’s not a response that comes naturally for most of us, but when we learn to walk in that kind of single-minded faith, we’ll be amazed at the storms we can walk through unscathed.

Blessings,
lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment