Thursday, December 11, 2008

In the Light

Psalm 139:23–24; “Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.”

There’s a reason I don’t own one of those magnified mirrors with the little light bulbs all around it. I’d just as soon shave my legs with a wood plane as see my flaws brightly lit and magnified. If I see the flaws, won’t I have to do something about them, like invest in Biore strips and electrolysis? It’s easier to slap on some makeup, stand way back from the mirror, and say, “Good enough.”

Sometimes I’d rather not face my faults and have to deal with them.

I recently told my brother that I get awfully tired of my petty, foolish, stubborn flesh. He responded by saying that he rather enjoys being aware of his faults; it helps him see how far he’s come and how far he has to go. His weaknesses help him gauge what God has done and will continue doing in his life.

Now why didn’t I think of that?

I have a friend who likes to remind me that the closer we are to the light, the more evident our weaknesses will become. So when we see our failings, we should be glad that we’re actually growing closer to our Lord, which reveals His perfection and our dependence on Him.

Go ahead, step closer to the light. We don’t have to fear what the light might reveal, because Jesus has become “our righteousness, holiness and redemption” (1 Cor. 1:30). Flaws? There may be plenty right now, but remember, “He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus” (Phil. 1:6b).

No comments:

Post a Comment