Thursday, December 11, 2008

Ready for the King

Have you ever received an unexpected phone call announcing you would be getting company in 30 minutes? Have you noticed at times like that your house, which seemed fine minutes ago, is now obviously unsuitable for guests? I don’t know about you, but I rush around, hollering for my family to “help me get this place cleaned up!” I take quick inventory of my refrigerator and cupboards to see if I have anything acceptable to feed guests, and I make a pot of coffee. Sometimes I need to change my clothes, brush my teeth, and comb my hair! We want things nice for company.

Why do we do this? Why do we care? I know I have been guilty of concern with what others will think of me, but lately I’m more concerned about the comfort of my guests. Go ahead and take off your shoes; your feet won’t get too dirty on my floors. Sit anywhere you want; all the chairs are open and inviting you to relax. Are you hungry or thirsty? Let me get you something to eat or drink. My table is cleared of clutter and freshly wiped. Now we can forget about everything else and just enjoy one another’s company. Ahhh . . .

We want our guests to feel welcomed, but do we always provide a welcoming environment for the Holy Spirit in our lives? Are you ready to receive Him, or is your life too cluttered to make room for Him? How often do we sit down, forget about everything else, and just spend time with Him like a dear friend? Even though He takes up permanent residence in believers, let’s not ever take this “guest” for granted.

1 comment: