Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Christmas Hope

There’s an irony in receiving Christmas cards and sympathy cards at the same time. One card extols the joys of the season; the next empathizes with your sorrow. The first day it happened (that is, receiving the cards) I thought of it as sardonic humor and felt someone must be having a laugh at my expense. Celebrate Christmas? Now? You must be kidding.

The second day I was somewhat more prepared. I looked at the stack of cards, and with a tinge of bitter sarcasm I thought, Which will it be? We Wish You a Merry Christmas? Or We Sympathize with Your Loss?

Oh Lord, I thought, How do you expect me to do this?

But then I remembered Hebrews 4:15–16; “For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.”

It’s generally accepted that Joseph, Jesus’ adopted father, had died by the time Jesus began his ministry. Surely this was a painful loss for Jesus to bear. When Jesus was at the tomb of Lazarus, we see him moved by great compassion and love; he wept. He understands our pain. Furthermore, the very reason we celebrate Christmas is because of the HOPE he brought us when he came to Earth as a baby.

This Christmas may not be the “happiest” for me or my family, but surely it will hold a special beauty as we reflect on His promise of eternal life and joyful reunions.

Christmas cards for the grieving? How fitting.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life" (John 3:16).

No comments:

Post a Comment