Thursday, December 11, 2008

Eklektikes

I’m an eclectic. Eclectic means “composed of elements drawn from various sources” (Merriam-Webster). One who is an eclectic uses this approach to life. If you ever come to my house, you’ll see nothing matches. Please don’t ask me my favorite color, movie, flower, or song; how can I possibly choose just one? Eating out?—I get really excited about combo platters.

When John shared his vision for a new Faith Pages section that would incorporate many voices from our communities, this was obviously something I could embrace. We may go to various churches, and we may disagree on certain elements of our Christian faith, but when the common denominator of our lives is Jesus Christ, we are called to “encourage one another and build each other up” (1 Thessalonians 5:11). These pages provide that opportunity for you to encourage others in their faith. Whenever I hear of someone’s answered prayers, or how God worked in their lives, or another’s insight gleaned from the Word, I am encouraged. We all have such stories; let’s share them. I hope you too will embrace the vision of a section in our paper where you can turn, see familiar faces, and read testimonies of our God’s love.

Please contact me with your stories and leads to contribute to these pages. “Drawing from various sources” is what will make this section of the paper something to joyfully anticipate each week.

Oh, were you wondering about my title Eklektikes? Well, you know how all the good preachers say things like, “This word comes from the Greek . . .” Right? So “eclectic” comes from the Greek eklektikes. After all, these are the Faith Pages!

Blessings,
~lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment