Friday, December 26, 2008

The Best Gift

I must have been about seven or eight years old the Christmas of the Barbie doll. My older sister had two Barbies, but I had none. I desperately wanted my own Barbie and hoped to receive one for Christmas.

The tradition in my family was to take turns opening gifts one at a time. That way we knew who got what from whom, and we could all ooh and aah over each gift. With four children in our family, the gifts were heaped under the tree, and it took a little while to open each one. As youngest, I went first, opening . . . something that was not a Barbie doll. Then I waited while my two brothers, then my sister, then my dad and stepmom each opened a gift. Finally, it was my turn again. The next gift still was not a Barbie doll. The process was repeated numerous times, but among my gifts, the one thing I wanted most remained elusive, and my heart was beginning to sink.

I could no longer contain my disappointment when my sister opened a gift containing a brown-haired Barbie . . . with bendable legs! The gifts by now were scarce under the tree, and I was convinced that I would be left Barbie-less. The tears that had been threatening behind my eyelids burst forth in angry disappointment as I exclaimed, “It’s no fair! Why did she get a Barbie doll when she already has two, and I don’t have any!”

In utter disgust my stepmother directed me to look at my last package under the tree. . . . Could it be? Yes, it was my very own beautiful, blonde-haired Barbie with bendable legs and at least two outfits. My shame over that emotional outburst hampered the joy of that moment. She’d been there all along! I needed only to look and grab onto that gift waiting there for me.

Thinking of Christmas and the anticipation of receiving a much-desired gift, reminds me of the many who know about God’s great gift to us--His son Jesus, the Christ, who came to give us an abundant life now (John 10:10) and eventually eternal life with Him (John 3:16)--but for some reason this precious gift has eluded you. Dear friend, I just want to remind you that God’s gift is right there for the taking. Have you been too busy opening other gifts that weren’t really at all what you wanted? Have you doubted that anything so wonderful could ever be yours? Have you lost hope that you’ll ever receive this special gift? The gift is already yours. It came wrapped in swaddling clothes in the little town of Bethlehem in Judea. He’s waiting for you to receive Him, and He’ll gladly come into your life. Why don’t you accept God’s gift to you this Christmas? I promise it will be the best gift you have ever received.

1 comment:

  1. I am trying to pace myself in reading your posts but finding it difficult. You amaze me!!! You writing is beautiful and profound. It never ceases to be incredible. I always thought you were destined to be an actor - but I see you found your true calling.

    ReplyDelete