Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Depths of Your Heart Only God Can Touch

My husband must have thought I was crazy when I looked at him and said, “I miss you.”
How is it possible to miss someone you live with and see every day?

Most married people know very well how it’s possible. You live in the same house and speak to this person every day, but you’re not really “connecting.”

It’s the same way with God. We’re aware of His presence and have brief chats occasionally, but we don’t make time often enough for the kind of deep conversation required for intimacy. As a result we experience an unexplained sense of loneliness, a feeling that “something’s missing.”

God puts all kinds of people in our lives, and sometimes we’re lucky enough to establish wonderfully close connections with one or a few of them, but only God is fully able to satisfy our craving to be wholly known. We must come to terms with the fact that in some ways life's journey is a solitary one. There are depths of your heart only God can touch because only He is intimately acquainted with your innermost being.

That is why, just as in marriage, we need to protect and nurture our relationship with God. When I told my husband I missed him, we knew it was time to get back on track: put aside work for a while, turn off the TV, ignore the telephone, and talk to one another.

Take time every day for the One who loves you with an everlasting, unconditional, wonderful love; a love that will satisfy your longing for true intimacy.

“I have loved you, my people, with an everlasting love. With unfailing love I have drawn you to myself” (Jer. 31:3, NLT).

No comments:

Post a Comment