Thursday, December 11, 2008

Can I Get a Witness?

Always be ready to give an account of the hope that is within you (1 Peter 3:15)

Sometimes we Christians can get real uptight about how to “witness” to non-Christians. You know, the “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations” part of the Bible? Does that part make you nervous? Maybe you’ve decided you’ll just live a good life and lead by example without ever saying a word about Jesus. Well, living the Christian life is important too, but maybe witnessing won’t seem so scary if we simply share our testimony with others.

Sharing your testimony is basically telling others what God has done for you. It might be how He helped you in a specific situation, but today I’m thinking about sharing with others how we came to know him.

When I wanted to write out my personal testimony, I found a helpful Web site online: http://associate.com/faq/About_Your_Testimony.html. There are several such sites on the Internet. You might want to look at others.

This sight directs us to Acts 22:1–16 and 26:9–23. Paul shares his testimony in these passages making four points: (1) I have not always been a Christian, (2) but God showed me my need of Jesus Christ. (3) I committed my life to Jesus, and (4) now my life is different.

Simple, huh?

Your testimony is a genuine, unintimidating way to share Christ with others. Take some time this week to think about your life before Jesus, how you realized you needed Him, how you received Him, and how He has changed your life. Share your testimony first with people close to you, then you’ll feel more comfortable sharing it with others you may not know so well. Write down your testimony to share with future generations. I would love to have the testimonies of ancestors who knew Christ before me!

It’s exciting to hear about how Jesus has changed lives, so consider sharing your testimony for publication in the Faith pages. It’s not exactly “all nations,” but it’s a beginning, and our readers and our Lord will be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment